Types of tours, tips and tactics to help you tour Montego Bay
So now that you have finally gotten off that stuffy airplane and are able to stretch your legs, you must be ready to soak up some warm Caribbean sun and officially start enjoying your trip. There are quite a few tours in the Montego Bay area that will surely make you forget about that long plane ride. You also don’t have to worry about being stuck in the Montego Bay area only. These tours will take you to other parts of Jamaica and give you the chance to see more of the island and to enjoy its culture and the vibes of the people. Get ready to tour Montego Bay!
You’ll definitely appreciate the fact that there are different types of Montego Bay tours to suit the particular mood that you are in and to allow you to experience Jamaica the way you want.
Exciting Heart Pumping Tours
If you are all about thrills, adventures and excitement then when you decide to tour Montego Bay these might be right up your alley.
Jamaican ATV Off-Road Adventure in Sandy Bay
This Montego Bay Jamaica tour involves a rugged four-wheel bike ride around Jamaica’s countryside. This two hour tour will also allow you to see some of the island’s historical sites. Even if you have never ridden an ATV before, the experienced guides will demonstrate how to operate your ATV confidently.
This is another nature adventure featuring exhilarating zip line rides and nature tour. You will certainly get to enjoy the green, lush scenery that Jamaica has to offer on this tour.
River Boarding Adventure
Experience another side of nature on this tour as you get an exhilarating river boarding experience on the famous Rio Bueno river. Find out more…
Jamaica Bobsledding Tour from Montego Bay
If ATVs are not your thing, you could always opt for the bobsled tour which gives you a thrilling ride through a Jamaican rainforest. You can actually speed up or slow down the ride as you so desire. The best part about this montego bay tour is that you get to bobsled without the typical cold bobsled weather.
Adventurous Ways To Tour Montego Bay
If you have had enough fun and thrills but still want a tour that’s interesting and doesn’t get your heart rate beating too fast then these tours might be just what you need.
Jamaica Combo Tour: Dunn’s River Falls and Bob Marley’s Nine Miles
This combo tour gives you the opportunity to visit the birthplace of the legendary Bob Marley. You’ll certainly learn interesting facts about the king of reggae on this tour. Afterwards, you get to cool off in the lovely Dunn’s river falls where you can climb to the top of the falls or just lounge in the cool water.
If you wish to visit Dunn’s River Falls only, check out this link which also offers a cheaper rate.
Heighten your swimming experience by opting to swim with cute and friendly dolphins at Dolphin Cove in Ocho Rios. You will always be with a personal trainer who will also look out for your safety. Swimming with the dolphins will certainly be one of your most enjoyable experiences and one to definitely add to your list of Montego Bay tours.
Beach Horseback Ride and Swim
This Montego Bay tour will give you a very special opportunity to enjoy the exhilaration of riding into the ocean and learning about Jamaica’s history. If you don’t wish to ride the horse, you can always stroll along the beach but I’m sure you will definitely be up for a swim in the warm Caribbean Sea.
Sightseeing Cruise Tours
If you have exhausted all your energy on the other tours or if you are just in the mood for something laid back and relaxing, then these tours will certainly provide what you are looking for:
Black River and YS Falls Sightseeing Cruise from Montego Bay
This tour is centered around the Black River Safari and YS Falls. If you are interested in nature and don’t have a problem getting on a boat then this tour is suitable for you. You will also get to see more of the country on an informative bus ride and you will have the opportunity of cooling off at YS Falls if you so desire.
Negril Sightseeing Tour with Sunset at Rick’s Café
There are lots of tours in Montego Bay, but if you want a break from the above fast-paced adventure then this tour will provide you with the opportunity to sit back, relax, and enjoy . You can even relax on the beach to your heart’s content. This tour ends at Rick Café where you can enjoy fine food and music while watching a gorgeous sunset. This is a must do event when you tour Montego Bay!
Montego Bay Sunset Cocktail Cruise
Another relaxing tour where you can dance to reggae music while sipping on your favourite cocktail. This Montego Bay cruise tour will take you along the coastline on a luxury boat from which you can watch a spectacular sunset and kiss the day goodnight. Check out this link for more info:
The above list of tours is by no means exhaustive. You can visit the following sites to view other tour packages that might be of interest to you:
Your transportation service provider can either make or break your vacation experience. Since we want you to have an absolutely awesome vacation, you can choose your tour operators from the following. You will find that Jamaicans are very friendly people who always have a smile waiting and these operators will certainly live up to this fact.
- Jamaica Tours Limited specializes in all the type of tours you can think of. Whether it’s from the airport to your hotel or whether it’s a trip to the other side of the island, they will take care of your transportation needs. Check out their website at http://www.jamaicatoursltd.com/
- Kiuki Tours and Transportation is also noted tour operators in the Montego Bay area and will certainly ensure that you go wherever you want to on the island in comfort. http://www.kiukitours.com/
- Jamaica Exquisite Transfers and Tours offers the complete transportation package and will cater to all your transportation needs. They also offer discount on tours if you reserve your airport transfer with them. http://jamaicaexquisitetours.com/
- Private/Independent Operators. There are also some operators whose services are offered on a smaller scale and might also be cheaper. Of course, if ultimate luxury is not you concern, be sure to check out the list of some private/independent operators here: http://tourguides.viator.com
Getting travel insurance to come to Jamaica is not an absolute necessity and is dependent on your choice and your preference.
If you opt to get insurance, you can get comprehensive travel insurance which can cover theft, loss and medical problems.
Safe Ways To Tour Montego Bay
Here’s some friendly advice that I’m sure you will find useful when you tour Montego Bay and during your stay in Jamaica. Following these do’s and don’ts will enhance your travel experience.
- Do use your visa card: It’s much safer to use your credit or pre-paid debit cards to pay for goods and services as oppose to walking around with large amounts of cash
- Do carry small amount of local currency: Of course, there might be need for cash such as when taking local transport. In that case, as soon as you have landed, try to get your money converted into local dollars. This will help you to get more value out of your money than if you were to use your US dollars to pay for certain products and services.
- Do speak to the hotel staff: If you want to venture out of your resort, speak to the hotel staff and ask them for their recommendations. Your safety benefits them so they will offer you sound advice.
- Do speak to your driver: If you are travelling in any public transportation, speak to your driver beforehand in order to ensure that they will take you to exactly where you want to go. Jamaican people are friendly and your driver will be more than happy to assist.
- Do your research: It’s good to have a clear idea of the places you want to visit. Researching where they are in proximity to your hotel will provide you with some amount of knowledge as to the expected distance of travel and the time it will take you to get there.
- Do use authorised transportation: these are the buses and taxis that have a red license plate. This means that they are regulated and have the necessary licences and documents. It’s important to look out for these since there are illegal taxis around and they will have a white license plate.
- Do be aware: It’s important to be aware and conscious of your surroundings. This will help you to know what exactly is happening around you so that you are not caught off-guard.
- Don’t walk on the streets late at night solo: If you have to be out late at night, make sure that you are with a trusted local or make sure that you are very close to your hotel. It’s also better to walk in groups if you need to be on the streets late at night.
- Don’t leave your hotel without a plan: You should have a clear idea of where you want to go and what you want to do before venturing outside your hotel. This will limit areas of vulnerability and increases the chances of you being safe.
- Don’t count out money in the street: If you need to check how much cash you have on you, find a safe corner and check rather than doing it in a spot where everyone can see.
- Don’t walk on lonely unlit streets: It’s pretty obvious why you should avoid lonely unlit streets. If you are on the road at nights it’s best to be on well- lit and populated streets.
- Don’t travel around with important documents: Each hotel room usually have a safe where you can leave your valuables and your passport. If no safe is in your room you should leave your travel documents with a hotel staff before venturing outside of the hotel.
- Don’t wear expensive jewellery: jewellery might attract unscrupulous individuals so it’s best to keep them to a minimum. A simple watch is fine and ladies can also wear simple, modest earrings.
- Don’t drive on the right: If you happen to rent a vehicle while on your vacation, remember to drive on your left. This can be a bit unusual for American visitors who are accustomed to driving on the right
The following link provides some apps which should be useful if you are planning to visit Jamaica. http://www.top10travelapps.com/search/jamaica
The free apps are really the most important ones so don’t feel pressured to spend your money on the other apps.
If you can afford it, I recommend getting a tour guide to help you tour Montego Bay because they provide a sort of security and since they know the area well, you won’t have to worry about getting lost in a strange place. There are also local customs that you won’t be familiar with and a tour guide will certainly provide you with such knowledge and actually look out for your best interest.
One’s ultimate goal on any vacation is to have an absolutely amazing experience that is different from regular day to day pursuits. Jamaica is a lovely destination that can give you just that. The above pointers will certainly add to the ease of planning and also enjoying your stay on this beautiful Caribbean island. So go ahead and select the tours that you like best as well as the preferred tour operator. Take special note of those safety tips and be sure to download an app or two that will provide some more information on this country. But most of all, get out your travel documents and start planning your stay in this lovely place where it’s always warm and a beach is always nearby.