- What time zone is Jamaica in?
- Jamaica Standard Time is 5 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT-5).
- Does Jamaica observe Daylight Saving Time?
- Jamaica does not observe Daylight-Saving Time. For example, in August when it is 2:00 p.m. in Jamaica, due to Daylight Savings Time, in Boston (or any other place in the Eastern time zone), the time would be an hour ahead because the time would be 3:00 p.m. Eastern daylight time. However during the months US cities observe daylight savings time, in the Central Time Zone their clocks would match the local time in Jamaica. (Again, because they would push their clocks one hour ahead while Jamaica remains the same.) This process is reversed once those cities go off Daylight Savings Time.If you live in the Eastern Standard Time Zone, your time will be the same as that in Jamaica. One other way to remember this: if you’re in an Eastern Standard time zone state and you’re going to Jamaica in the winter you don’t have to reset your watch. The time is the same in both places.
- Jamaica does not use zip codes. However we have postal codes.According to Wikipedia,
ZIP codes are a system of postal codes used by the United States Postal Service (USPS) since 1963. The term ZIP, an acronym for Zone Improvement Plan, was chosen to suggest that the mail travels more efficiently, and therefore more quickly (zipping along), when senders use the code in the postal address. The basic format consists of five decimal numerical digits. An extended ZIP+4 code, introduced in 1983, includes the five digits of the ZIP code, a hyphen, and four more digits that determine a more specific location within a given ZIP code. The USPS provides a free online lookup tool for ZIP codes at www.usps.com/zip4/.
The term ZIP code was originally registered as a servicemark (a type of trademark) by the U.S. Postal Service, but its registration has since expired. USPS style for ZIP is all caps, although style sheets for some publications use sentence case or lowercase.
Airport & Airport Code
- MBJ for Montego Bay
- KGN for Kingston
- 110 volts
- What is the International Telephone Dialling Code for Jamaica?
- The International Dialling Code for Jamaica is +1 876. Note there are no codes for individual towns and cities in Jamaica.
- J$ – Jamaican Dollar
Communication (Cell / Home Phones)
- Cell phones are prevalent right across the island. Some businesses and homes also have landlines or fixed line phones
- There are two cell companies – LIME/FLOW and Digicel
Newspaper and Radio
- There are two major daily papers (Jamaica-gleaner.com and Jamaicaobserver.com), and there are a wide number of radio stations, most which play local content (and some syndicated international content)